Sunday, November 30, 2008

Just As I Am: What's It Saying?

Hymns. We sing them Sunday after Sunday. Sometimes they become mere repetitions. We sing the words, but do we actually HEAR what we are singing? What was the writer conveying when he/she wrote the song? I thought of this song this morning. It is often used as an altar call. A song to beckon an unbeliever to come to Christ. I have broken it down into what I think it says. To me, it's pretty straightforward, but you might have a different take on it. So, read through it and think about what it says. If you have anything you would like to add, please put it in the comments. I may go back and use some of your comments and add them to the post.

JUST AS I AM: written by Charlotte Elliot in 1835

Just as I am! : No bells or whistles. Just me. Right here. Right now.
without one plea,
but that Thy blood was shed for me,
and that Thou bidd'st me come to Thee : I don't ask for anything but I realize that you shed your blood for ME, and You are calling for ME to come you.
Oh Lamb of God! I come! I come!

Just as I am! : Just me again. Just the way I am. I don't have to change anything to come to You.
and waiting not,
to rid my soul of one dark blot,
to Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot: I don't have to wait. Your blood can cover ALL my sins right here, right now if I just ask.
Oh Lamb of God! I come! I come!

Just as I am! : Just me again. Right here. Right now. The way I am.
Thou wilt receive, : You will not turn me away.
Wilt welcome, : You WANT me to come...You've been waiting.
pardon, : You will forgive me of all my sins.
cleanse, : Your blood will wipe away my sins
relieve, : Ah! The best part! Relief, at last! To know I am YOUR child, and I don't have to worry about all the sins of my past, for they are cast away. You've got my back!

Because Thy promise I believe: God, you gave Your only begotten son, Jesus, that WHOsoever believes in Him, shall not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16). I believe in Jesus and I believe Your promise.

Oh Lamb of God! I come! I come!

If you have never accepted Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, and you feel led to do so, please click here. You don't have to be in a church. You can do it in the presence of your own home. It is a simple act of faith that will change your life for the better. May God bless you.

No comments: