Monday, April 13, 2009

Monday Memories: Letters To My Children #7

Welcome to installment #7 of Monday Memories: Letters to My Children. If you want to know more about how this posting got started read here.

This letter was written to my oldest son, Justin, who had just started kindergarten. This is the last letter in this series, as my letters have run out. I still may continue to write letters to my children via this blog. If so, I will keep with the Monday tradition. It will be nice to look back on the new letters in future years, just as it has brought back many memories of the past years. I still encourage you to do this. It has been so wonderful to have my children read about the feelings I was experiencing when they were younger.

This week I have added a new twist. I have also included a present letter to my oldest son. If you have been keeping up with my blog, you know about the frustrations and the current situation we have been going through. I felt it only fitting to let him know how I feel. I hope you enjoy...



Justin holding Chase

Then...
Thursday, August 25, 1994
1:20 p.m.

Dear Justin,


This morning I took you to kindergarten for the first time. I can hardly believe you are that old...or I am that old. You did very well before I left, and you began playing. I just hope you did as well the rest of the day. I'm sure you did. You were so excited. You couldn't stop talking when we took your dad to work. Chase misses you because he keeps saying, "Okay, let's go get Justin now." I miss you, too. It sure has been quiet around here without you. I love you so much, and I hope you do real well in school. You are a smart boy, and I am very proud of you, my little kindergartner.
Love,
Mom


Now...

Monday, April 13, 2009
6:42 p.m.

Dear Justin,


A lot has happened since I wrote the previous letter. You have already graduated from high school (2007). And we just recently learned that you are going to be a father. You didn't do things the way I had hoped. I had hoped that you would graduate high school, finish college, get a job, and THEN get married and start a family, and learn from my mistakes. You are barely 20 years old, the exact age I was when I had you. So, who am I to judge?! But, you could have, at least, gotten married first. But, what's done is done. You have hit life wide open. I hope you are ready, because once that little one enters your world, it is going to change it forever. I am glad that you and Chelsea were planning on marriage before the baby came into the picture. This tells me that you and she love each other...and I have seen it when you two are together. You told me that you
knew that she was the one when you met her. I'm glad. Your dad often says that about me when he reflects on our younger days.

Please love her and cherish her and that baby. Work through the difficulties that are sure to come your way, as they ALWAYS do in marriage. By working through them, your marriage will only get stronger. This is a lifelong commitment not to be pushed aside once troubles come into play. You have always been a smart boy, not always motivated, but smart. I know that you will do what is right by Chelsea and this baby. Just know that you are about to have a family to provide for. Be the man of that family, and raise this child in a loving home. Be responsible. Always provide for them, whatever it takes. Don't be too proud to do what you need to in order to support your family because it's more than just about you now.
I love you. Your dad loves you. And you have many other family members that love you and will support you. Your dad and I will do whatever we can to help you and Chelsea out, but you must help yourself, in return. I'm always here for you whenever you need a loving voice to talk to, or a shoulder to cry on. Take care of your new family.

Love,

Mom

Justin with Chelsea

1 comment:

Sue said...

Beautiful Sandra. Thanks for letting all of us be a fly on your family wall!

God bless you. God bless Justin, Chelsea and your grandbaby!

Hugs