Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Just a Little Update...Well, Maybe Not THAT Little!

It's been a while since I've posted anything much about my life, so I thought I'd give you an update.

I work as the school bookkeeper at the local elementary school. My school has approximately 1350 kids in grades 1-4, and 73 classrooms. It can get a bit hectic. This year they started the process of dividing the school into 2 separate entities. Right now, it has been in name only...well, they did hire and do a few changes to the principals and asst. principals. But, once school is officially out for summer, the construction will begin. I am a 12 month employee, so I will be there during all the action. Right now, Alabama schools are under proration, which means State money is short. The reason they decided to split our school, besides the fact that it was so large, was so that there would be more funding. Now, how does that affect the employees/teachers? Good question. I do know that I will be doing the bookkeeping for both schools, at least until we are out from under proration. As for the other girls in the office, there has been no official word as to who is going to work for what school. We will probably know all that by the end of this month.

Now, onto personal stuff. Justin and Chelsea have set a tentative date for the wedding, June 20. As far as plans go, Chelsea & her mom have been working on that. She has not really started to "show" yet, but she did say that her clothes were beginning to not fit. Justin has been looking for a job around Jacksonville. I think he is beginning to feel the heat from her parents, as well. They haven't said anything to him, but I know that they have relayed their feelings to Chelsea. So, I'm still hoping it all works out, and he will find a job very soon. Since her mother's insurance does not pay for a dependent's pregnancy, she had to go to the health department and get on Medicaid. She also got WIC started. Justin said that she has an appointment with a "real" doctor this Friday in Jacksonville. She is taking 2 classes for the summer semester at Jacksonville.

Chase began Spring football training last week. This is his last week, and they will put on a scrimmage game, amongst themselves, next Monday night. They were going to do it this Friday night, but our girls' softball team is going to State (Woo Hoo!), and their game is Friday. Chase will be a senior next year. He plays wide receiver. Of the 4 starting receivers he is the only white one! I thought that was a little funny, since he listens to all that rap music, and his favorite singer is T.I. I just hope that he can keep his position, but he has played it for a couple of years, and I think that our new coach respects that.

Jordan had his end of the year band picnic. This is for the high school marching/concert band. He received a nice plaque for "Most Outstanding Rookie!" I am a proud momma! We also attended the show choir banquet where he got his regular "participation" award, and a funny award called, "Bassmaster, you fish professionally?" His nickname is bassmaster, for some odd reason. He does NOT fish! I thought it was because he played bass guitar; therefore it would be pronounced (base) master. But, Jordan says no. Who knows what is going on with that?!! I certainly don't! Oh well, who knows what is going on with any teenagers these days?! He will be playing with the jazz band at our Spring Bash, which will be held this weekend at the local airport. That should pretty much wrap up his "gigs" for a while.

We made it through our first Mother's Day without Kevin's mother. The family had a get-together Saturday night. We laughed and cut up. A few of us cried. But, Pat would have wanted us to just enjoy being together. She was probably looking down on us, laughing herself. Kevin was a little down over the weekend, and rightfully so. But, we hang in there and keep going. We have to be strong for his dad, who is battling bladder cancer. He has just completed a round of chemotherapy, and they are going to do a scan on him next week. They are planning on taking out his bladder. He is hoping that they decide that they don't have to take such drastic measures. The cancer was concentrated to the bladder, but they had wanted him to do chemo before they did the surgery. Ray is a tremendous man of faith, and he deserves a miracle. I hope God will provide one.

So, this has been a pretty major update. I didn't intend to write a book, but I hope you enjoyed it and learned a little more about me than you already knew.

2 comments:

Sue said...

What a great update it was!

I'm so sorry about the loss of your mother-in-law :-( That first year of "firsts" is always the hardest.

Sorry to read about your father-in-law too. I'm glad he has his faith to give him comfort and hope!

Sounds like you have a busy summer ahead with the wedding and sports galore! Have a great day!

Sandra said...

Thanks. May 29th is going to be a very hard day for our family. That's the day that she passed away unexpectedly. :(