Friday, October 2, 2009

A Very Trying Week

(I originally wrote this around Tuesday of this week.  I'm just now posting.  A LOT has happened since this. Stay tuned.)

My life has not been very groovy for the past couple of weeks.  I've mentioned before that my husband deals with depression and mental illness.  It has reared its ugly head again.  He was in such a good mood a few weeks ago.  I should have seen this coming.  Last week he bottomed out.  I called around trying to get him in to see a therapist, but everywhere I turned, they either didn't take my insurance, or it was going to be weeks until he could see someone.  I got very frustrated.  What's a person to do when they need help RIGHT NOW?!!  The soonest that I could get an appointment was Oct. 8.  He was going to try to make it until then, but at work yesterday, he called me to come get him to take him to the ER.  There they assessed him, and brought in a screener.  Wes was his name, and he was wonderful.  Also, while there, the ER doctor asked him if there was anything brought on to trigger his feelings.  Well, come to think of it, possibly losing his mother over a year ago, his father fighting bladder cancer, seeing his son married and now expecting a child, yes, I would think that could be part of it.  But, mental illness DOES run in his family.  His mom was bipolar, and his grandmother was schizophrenic.                     

He seemed to think the same thing as I did.  My husband is bipolar.  What this means is that he will experience feelings of euphoria, but that will swiftly change to a severe depressed state.  It's like a roller coaster.  We just never knew what kind of mood he was going to be in from one day until the next.  Anyway, they gave him a shot to ease his anxiety.  Today we are waiting on a call from a psychiatrist so that he can be properly diagnosed and start to receive the help he needs.  Just keep us in your prayers.  I'll keep you posted on this journey.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so sorry. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I am so glad that he will be getting the help he needs.

Brooke said...

Just wanted to let you know that I am praying for you and your family. Please let me know if I can do anything!

Brandy said...

So sorry to hear things are not going well. Sending prayers!