Monday, February 15, 2010

Another Snowy Day in the South

The kids had another "snow day" today.  School was cancelled due to a winter weather warning that was issued for last night.  When we awoke this morning, there was a good bit of snow on the ground.  The roads were not covered, but there were slick spots to be wary of.  Truth be told, the kids probably could have gone to school on a two-hour delay.  But, when you have the weathermen screaming 2--4 inches of snow, then what's a school superintendent to do?  I know the kids are glad to get these snow days, but they are not going to be too glad when they have to make them up at the end of the year.  We are already pushed up to the last week of May, as it is.  If they tack on a make-up day at the end, we won't finish school until June!  Maybe they have something else up their sleeve.  I guess we'll see.

Last Thursday evening, the winter weather warnings began, also.  We woke up Friday to only a cloudy day.  We made it in to school, but by about 9:30 a.m. the snow began to fall.  It was so pretty!  It quickly began covering the ground.  School let out early at 12 noon.  We got a lot of snow! 

I tried to get my boys to build a snowman with me.  They wouldn't.  They're no fun.  So, I went out by myself and started rolling around a ball of snow for my  snowman.  It didn't take me very long to realize that it was gonna be a lot harder than I remember it being from my childhood days!  So, I cheated.  I built a minature snowman.  He was about a foot tall.  He had acorns for his eyes and nose and a 3 little sticks for his mouth and arms.  That's as good as I could do.  It was later destroyed by the culprit you see in the background!

One of the boys' friends came by, and they did muster up some energy for a snowball fight.  At least they did get out there and play in it a bit. 










So now it is Monday night.  The snow and ice melted earlier today, but now it is snowing again.  This has been such a weird winter in the South.  We have gone years wishing for a big snow, only to be disappointed year after year, that is, until this year.  It seems there has been snow in the forecast every week.  The one that we got on Friday was the biggest in a long time.  It was nice.  But now, I'm ready for Spring.  I hate to be cold.  I hate having to bundle up to stay warm.  I'm ready for t-shirt weather.  So, thank you Winter, for giving us a good snow. 

But now, please exit and make way for Spring.  I'm ready for the yellow daffodils to start "springing" up everywhere.  

1 comment:

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Hi. Thanks for stopping by my blog. It's great to meet a fellow Alabamian.

Gosh, it looks like you guys got a lot of snow. We've gotten some a few different times, but not enough to make a snowman with...least not a good one, and definitely not enough to make one and still have snow covering the rest of the yard. lol.