Wednesday, February 10, 2010

We Don't Say Yee Haw


It's no secret that I am from the South.  I love my southern roots.  I love living in the South.  I love being a "Southern Bell," if you will. It has come to my attention that many people in other parts of the country have some misconceptions of us Southerners.  While there are always exceptions to the rules, I present some facts that you may not realize.

1.  We are not illiterate.  We may talk differently than you, but most of the people I know have graduated from high school.  Some have attended college, and many have a college degree.

2.  Everyone doesn't drive a pick-up truck.  

3.  We don't all own guns.

4.  We don't  all fly rebel flags.

5.  We don't drive pick-up trucks with a gun in the gun rack and a rebel flag flying from the antenna.

6.  We don't have "relations" with family members, if you get my drift.

7.  We don't talk like Forest Gump, and we don't talk like Scarlett O'Hara.

8.  We are not ALL rednecks.

9.  Most of us still have our teeth.

10. We don't all own a hound dog.

11. We don't all live to watch NASCAR.

12. We are not all racists.

13. We don't say yee haw, although we might say that we are "fixin' to" go to the store.  Just get use to it.  That's a hard habit to break!

So to sum it all up, we are just like you.  We just speak a little more slowly, and we probably have a drawl to our voice, and maybe we use a few different phrases than you, but that doesn't mean that we are any different than you in the things that really matter. 

So, just remember this when you see those shows on television that paint us in a backwoods, hillbilly redneck kind-of-way.  It's not like that where I live in Alabama.  Just come take a trip down here.  We'll feed you some pintos, cornbread, fried chicken, and mashed potatoes.  We'll probably even throw in a biscuit or two.  Oh, and don't forget the sweet tea!

Y'all come back, now.
Ya hear!!
:-)

No comments: