Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Another Milestone: My Son Is Graduating

Two days and my middle son, Chase, will be graduating from high school.  It's a bit hard for me to believe.  A few days ago a parent brought a little boy in to the school where I work.  He looked a lot like Chase when he was that age.  I heard him say something, and he sounded like Chase did at that age.  I smiled to myself and went quietly back to my office, secretly re-living some memories of my child so many years ago.  We went through some tough times when our kids were little.  I worked some of the time, went to school some of the time, lived on welfare some of the time.  There's no doubt that we are in a better place, now.  But, looking back at those tough times, I see that we didn't have it so bad after all.  Those were some of the best days of our lives.  I miss my kids being small.  The problems only get bigger as they get older.  I try to take moments throughout the day and take note of things now that I know I will miss in the future.  Right now, Jordan is in the living room playing video games.  One day those video games will be silent.  Just a few weeks ago, I was lying in bed, and I could hear Jordan & Chase outside playing basketball.  I savored that moment just thinking that it won't be much longer that I won't hear that, anymore.  If I'm lucky there will be grandchildren to take up the slack...but it won't be the same.  To you mothers out there who have young children, cherish every moment.  They go by so quickly.  You'll turn around one day, and that little child will be graduating from high school. Ready to face the world. And, there's not one thing you can do to stop it.

I love you, Chase.

No comments: