Sunday, September 12, 2010

Do You Ever Wonder?

Do you ever wonder what it would be like to have a totally different life?  A life in another place, another part of the country?  I do.  I wonder what it would be like to be an single executive in New York City.  To walk from my NY apartment to an office in a high-rise building.  And on my walk to be surrounded by the hustle and bustle of the city.  People in a hurry to get to where they're going.  The roar and hum of the traffic all around me. 



Go to my office and do whatever fabulous job that I would do.  Get off at 5.  Walk home, but on my way home, stop by a shop and pick up dinner for the evening.  Hang out in my apartment, maybe watching a little t.v. while having my dinner.  All alone.  To get up the next day and do it all over again.  To have the world by the tail with endless possibilities.  Maybe go to a Broadway show on the weekend because it's right across town.  So many choices.  So much excitement.

What if our lives were different?  We wouldn't know it because we started it out that way.  But in hindsight, don't you ever wonder? 

Don't get me wrong.  I love my life.  Some things are similar to the other life that I wonder about.  I go to work, come home everyday, have dinner.  I come home to a house with laundry, dishes, sweeping, and mopping that needs to be done.

 (I'm sure all this would be done for me in my other life!)  But, I also come home to a husband and two sons that love me.  On the weekends I look forward to having my other son with his wife & my granddaughter to come visit me.  I look forward to hometown football games where I know a majority of the people there, because we live in a close-knit town where our kids have grown up playing ball together.


 I look forward to going out to eat with close friends, occasionally.  I wouldn't trade my life now for anything else.  But, what if things had started out differently? 

But I also wonder....does that NYC executive ever wonder how her life could be different?  Calmer, slower, filled with a family that she loves and that loves her in return? 

I wonder...

No comments: