Monday, November 15, 2010

What Triggers A Memory?



Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose. ~From the television show The Wonder Years



God gave us memories that we might have roses in December. ~J.M. Barrie, Courage, 1922



I've been doing a lot of reminiscing today and even over the weekend.  I wonder if it's just the time of the year that brings back these memories.  I've come upon 2 instances today where other people are reminiscing, too.  My best friend from middle & high school texted me today & it said this:

"You know what I have been craving lately? And, I don't even know if they make it anymore.  It's some of that Pizza Quick you put on loaf bread.  I remember me and you used to eat it all the time, especially when we would come home from the skating rink."
I replied:

"They DO still make it! But get thicker bread, like barbeque bread.  We also use to eat Swiss Rolls & also cake frosting out of the tub.  I still do!  Yum!"
Those were good times.  These days she and I can't get away with many Swiss Rolls (Little Debbie) or cake frosting straight from the can.  But we can splurge occasionally.  It's funny how certain actions that we do trigger memories.  Like, when I cook pancakes, I always think about my best friend from when I lived in Georgia.  Her mom use to make pancakes for us when I would spend the night with her.  Her mom is gone from this life now.  I haven't seen my childhood friend in many many years.  (We have reunited on Facebook!)  But, it never fails that I always go back to that time when I cook pancakes.

I know there are other mundane tasks that I do that trigger these memories, although my forgetful mind cannot think of them at this moment.  But, when they happen, I just smile.  It's nice to go back to some of these memories and cherish them.

 The thought of Thanksgiving coming up has me thinking back to dinners at my mother/father-in-law's home.  She loved to cook a feast for her family.  She passed away suddenly a couple of years ago.  The holidays have not been the same without her.  I miss her dearly. 
While checking my Facebook there was a post for Ree Drummond a.k.a. The Pioneer Woman.  (If you don't follow her blog, you really should.)  She posted this on Facebook:

"Here's a tip: While you're doing dishes on a Monday evening, never hum old-time hymns and think of your grandmother at the same time."
This set off a flurry of comments and memories from her friends and followers, such as:

" Aw! I just canned chow chow relish and thought of my great aunt and her cranberry bogs and blue berry bushes the whole time!"
"I know it's not the same, but I cry when I go into Home Depot, and think of my daddy."
"I get sad when I make Peach cobbler. My Great Aunt, taught me how to make it. First time up at our Cabin, now for the last 8 1/2 yrs I always think of her."
"Must be a day for grandmother memory moments. Mine were while hanging sheets on the line."
"The year my dad died, as I was making strawberry jam and listening to the radio late one night several months later, one of his favorite hymns came on...and I just about couldn't finish the jam I was making for the tears....tears of memories...tears of missing him...tears of joy he was no longer sick..."
"My Cuban grandma taught me how to make black beans and rice.. I can still hear her voice when I cook them. .. and I couldn't understand a word she said. ;) but still I learned. Hope I will be a memorable Grandma someday. thanks for reminding me of her."
"Must be something to do with the holidays coming. I had one of those moments yesterday. "
Yes, it must.  We all need a good cry every now and then.  My husband and I, along with 2 of our sons now live in the house that his mom and dad lived in when I met him. I have her picture on the fridge with one of her magnets which reads, "In my Father's house are many mansions. I hope yours is next to mine."  I do, too.  :')

What brings back memories for you?

No comments: