Monday, June 13, 2011

Life Ain't Easy, Kid

My husband, Kevin, and I celebrated our 24th anniversary yesterday.  I can't say it's always been easy, but we made it through it.  The trick is to work through those difficult times instead of taking the easy way out.  For better or for worse, you know?  I think that's the problem with so many divorces these days.  People go into them thinking, if it doesn't work out, then they can just get out of it.  Marriage is a lifelong commitment to one another and to God.  It should not be taken lightly. 

I know that when things have been hard, I've often wondered if the grass was greener on the other side.  But, I have a feeling that it's not.  I could not imagine starting over with someone new.  That just stresses me out.  I mean, hey, I know what I'm dealing with now...and most of the time I know how to deal with it.  We have built a life together, 3 sons, and now a daughter-in-law and a granddaughter...and another grandchild on the way.  Life is good, and it's getting better everyday.  Nevermind the little problems that creep in occasionally.

I just don't understand how some people can be married for 30 or 40 years and suddenly get a divorce.  I hope that I am not jinxing myself!  But, if there is any way, I'm NOT going to be one of them!  I told Justin and Chelsea when they got married that you work through your problems.  You don't just give up.  So far, they have made it.  I know that they are young, but they have gone through some stuff already.  But, I think they are learning to work things out.  I pray that they will continue to be able to do so.  Because life ain't easy, kid.  It's gonna throw you a curve ball every now and then.

The trick is how you deal with it.  Step up to the plate, and knock it out of the park!

Happy Monday, everyone.

3 comments:

Iva said...

Amen and amen. Danny and I have made several mistakes along the way, however, from the get-go, divorce was never part of the equation.

You should check out To Love, Honor, and Vacuum (if you haven't already). Sheila feels like we do and gives Godly advice to wives.

Sue said...

Happy Anniversary to you & your Hubby! 24 years is something to be proud of these days and I love your godly perspective on it! I think it's great too the advice you've given your son & daughter-in-law because life sure is harder I think for the younger generation where marriage and commitment are concerned. Too many of the "role models" out there in their culture lead them astray as to what true commitment and love is! Way to Go!! God bless your next 24 :-) xo

Sandra said...

@Iva: I actually do read her blog, occasionally. It really makes me think about things. I also found a book by her at a local discount warehouse. She has a great perspective on life.

@Sue: I agree completely about all the "role models" out there today. Thanks for the kind words.