Saturday, January 15, 2011

I've Been Busy Today!



I finally got around to some of the little projects that I have been wanting to do.  I got my dining room decorated.  I still have a little bit of clutter to get rid of, but it looks 100% better.  The best way to explain it is just to show you some before and after pictures. 

BEFORE:  

This is what my dining room window looked like. Yes, that's a smoke detector right there smack dab in the middle.  I had taken it down when I painted my walls, and the only nail was right there.  I knew I would get it put back in it's proper place, eventually. 

AFTER:

Ahhh!  Much better!  I had had the curtain rod for awhile.  It was just waiting on me to do something with it.  And look!  No more smoke detector!  I replaced it with this cute little sign.  Look closer...

BEFORE:
My mantle has been looking a bit skimpy since I took all the Christmas decorations down.  It was seriously getting on my nerves.  All the clutter around it is a bonus. ;)

AFTER:
I may do a little bit more to this, but I think it's a good start.  The 2 small pics in the middle are my granddaughter, my son and his wife.  I had gotten them printed in black and white, and I spray painted the thrift store frames black.  I have more frames to spray paint, and I have more pictures to fill them with.

BEFORE:

This is a thrift store find. I loved the frame. The picture, which was just a page out of a magazine, was nicked. But, I bought it for the frame.  It was $1.99.

This is what was on the back of the picture. It was helping to hold the picture in.  It's an old 1966 Southern Bell telephone book cover.  Pretty neat, don't you think?  Well, it had to go in order for the plans I had for it...


This wall doesn't look too bad.  I actually just stuck this stuff up there until I could come up with something better.  That's my bookpage wreath on the right.  So, here's where the old frame comes into play...

AFTER:
I added a coat of spray paint to that frame & then I propped it up here with the rest of the items.  Don't look too closely or you will see the dust on the shelf. o_o


Here's another view. I wanted to get a good shot of the bookpage wreath that I made in here somewhere! :)

BEFORE:

I'm bearing my soul when I show you my cluttered dining room table. Sadly, it looks like this more often than it doesn't! Those chairs are at just the perfect spot for hanging stuff!  Does yours ever look like this?  Tell the truth!

AFTER:
Ahhh! Much better!  Yep, there's still stuff hanging on the chairs, but I'll get that cleared away, eventually. I pulled out my $4 thrift store table cloth. I had to iron it because it was recently washed.  I folded over another thrift store find: the toile fabric. I added the thrift store place mats that have been stored away for a couple of years just waiting on the perfect time.


The tablecloth was a little too long, so I tied up each corner with some pretty green ribbon.

 The centerpiece consists of a Dollar Tree tray, and some random vases with candles. I needed some "filler" for the candles, so I just used some rice.  It was the long-cooking kind, so I was never gonna cook it, anyway!  I think it turned out well!



Here's one more look.  I'm loving all the changes.  It acutally looks like a decent person lives here, now! :)  Even my son commented that it was lookin' pretty nice.  That's the best compliement I could've gotten. 



No comments: