Sunday, March 6, 2011

My Kitchen Renovation

My groovy life has been humming right along. I've become quite the homebody.  I love piddlin' around the house.  Yesterday was a rainy Saturday, so my goal was to not get out, at all!  I accomplished that goal. :)  Unfortunately, today I will have to get out to go to the store for some snacks, dog food, and hair spray.  I'm sure I'll come up with some other things while I'm there. 

I spent most of the day yesterday trying to get some things back in order from our kitchen renovation. I was so sick of my outdated, cramped, red kitchen!  I recruited hubby, bless his heart, to help me.  He is not the most patient person, especially when it comes to remodeling projects.  But it looks so much better now!  We ripped out all the cabinets, put in unfinished base cabinets (I plan to paint them white), a speckled black counter top, beadboard on the walls, and a new faucet.  For now I am going to use open shelving on the walls.  I may add some upper cabinets later...when money and time allows.  This is how the kitchen looked before. (Excuse the mess!):


See that cabinet on the right? I had begun stripping the paint so that I could begin painting my cabinets white.  Those cabinets are history, now.  Actually, a neighbor came and got them from the side of the road, so someone has benefited from them.  See how cramped the kitchen was?  Look at it after the new cabinets were put in:


Ahhhh!  So much better!! Don't you think?  We are still not finished.  Actually, I have done a few more updates since this pic.  I plan to paint those cabinets white and put some drawer and cabinet pulls on them.  I am currently working on the open shelving, and I have taken that red cabinet on the right out & replaced it with this:




I got it out of my late grandmother's house.  It seems my granddaddy (whom I never knew) built it.  It has history.  It has character.  It means something.  I love special touches that add character to my home.  However, it needed a bit of an update.  This is what it looks like now:


I painted the inside only.  I've put a few things inside, but that is subject to change.  I am still arranging, and organizing, so we'll see how it ends up.

We still have a ways to go before the kitchen renovation is done, so I'll update along the way.  I'm so excited to have a new kitchen!  It is so fun to change things up.  It keeps things interesting.

I've linked up to
Funky Junk Interiors

4 comments:

Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things} said...

I just LOVE your inherited cabinet and I really, really love it with the new paint on the inside.
Great choice by leaving the outside how it is. It really keeps it's character that way! :)

xoxo,
Vanessa @ {nifty thrifty things}

Lisa said...

Your kitchen looks great and I love the home made cabinet. You did a fabulous job on both.

Lisa
(Antioch/San Francisco, CA)

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

I love the cabinet! I like the colors in your kitchen too.
I love your family pictures!

Hardy Coufal said...

Yeah, the kitchen before looks pretty cramped and messy. Now it looks better with the new finish of the cabinets. The dark countertop also made the whole preparation area neater.