Saturday, September 5, 2009

Friday Night Lights #2: A Tough Tough Loss

The game of football is a lot like life.  Things are not always gonna go your way.  It's how you deal with it that really matters.
~Sandra Rowell

In Alabama we take our high school football seriously.  Heck.  We take our college football seriously!  But tonight was a tough one.  My son, Chase, plays wide receiver.  It was the last 2 minutes of the game.  Time for the 2 minute drill.  Make a play, run out of bounds to stop the clock.  We were 24.  They were 28.  We were down within 20 yards of the end zone.  3rd down and they threw it to Chase in the end zone.  He couldn't hang onto it.  As a mom, I hated it so much for him.  It definitely would have been the winning touchdown.  And, I know that he was gonna feel so bad about it, especially since I kissed him this morning and told him to, "Catch one for your momma tonight."  Too bad it was the only one they threw to him all night, but it was also the most important one, too.  I know how he would have LOVED to have caught the winning touchdown.  But, it wasn't meant to be.  As I was driving home, I received a text from Chase.  My heart sank.  Two simple words that meant so much and made my heart break.  "I'm sorry."  I felt so badly for him.  I had my neice to reply to the text for me.  "I still love you.  It's okay."

 He came in just a few moments ago.  I saw the disappointment on his face when he walked in the door.  His dad and I told him that it was okay.  I gave him a big hug.  We asked what his coaches said, and he said they told him the same thing.  One of them told him that he would go to war with him anytime.  Another told him to hold his head high, that he played a great game.  And I say that it's time to move forward from here and start concentrating on the next game, which is a VERY important one for our area.  It is against our fiercest rivals from the city just next door to us.  Those Boaz Pirates are gonna take on us Albertville Aggies.  They have beat us for the last 6 years, and I think this year is gonna be the year that we turn it all around.  We've been gunning for them, and I KNOW they are gunning for us.  They have to come to OUR town next Friday night.  WHEN we beat them next Friday night, tonight's game will be long since forgotten.  It WILL be the game of this season.  I told you that we take this stuff seriously. So stay tuned...

6 comments:

Jeanette said...

Total bummer! Hard on mom too. I'm sorry.

BALLET NEWS said...

LOVE your header shot ! Oh WOW, this is soooo beautiful ! You have the most gorgeous site here and I had to drop by and leave this comment for you - and say hello of course ! Your posts are lovely and you have interesting pictures. It's all perfect so thank you for sharing them all and best wishes....

Sandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
j said...

Man that is TOUGH. I am sorry that your son had to deal with the disappointment but that's football. Sounds like he had a lot of positive support. It's not always easy being a mom to an athelete.

If I knew that you are an Alabamian I had forgotten (I forget a LOT). That's cool neighbor!

Cassie said...

I'm from Alabama too...I know how seriously we take these things! I'm sorry he had to deal with the loss, but that will make it that much better when they win!

Stopping by from BPOTW!

BPOTW said...

It sure is hard on the parents when the child is too hard on himself. You do the best you can and that's all you can do. We'll be rooting for you the next game!