Never put your chicken casserole on to broil and leave it unattended. If you do, you will have smoked chicken casserole!
1. If you do leave it unattend, listen for the smoke alarm. It will let you know that you need to take immediate action.
2. Open the oven carefully and blow out the fire as much as possible.
3. Open windows, doors, turn on ceiling fan, and kitchen exhaust.
4. Once it is under control, take the casserole out of the oven.
5. Get a spatula and carefully remove the top layer of the casserole. The top layer of my casserole is crumbled up Ritz crackers. Remove as much as you can.
6. Crunch up another sleeve of crackers and sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
7. Melt some butter and pour over them.
You can chance putting it back in the oven, or you can just eat it like this since you and your famly will be starving by now. At first it will taste pretty good, but the more you eat of it, the more you will taste the smoky flavor and wish you had set your kitchen timer.
p.s. Don't ask me how I know all of this! ;)